George Davis Jr.
Granduncle of George Poindexter Munson Sr.
2nd great-granduncle of Laura Jane Munson.
- Family Background:
- Munson and Allied Families
George Davis, Jr., was married three times. Although none of his wives seems to have been Jewish, his grave and those of his first wife and a number of their children, in the Jewish section of the Church Street Graveyard, are marked off as "The Oldest Jewish Graves in Alabama" — the earliest being the baby Isaac who died at the age of one year on April 4, 1829.5 On his gravestone it is inscribed that George Jr. was a native of London and had been a resident of Mobile the last 28 years.
George Davis made a deed of gift to Betsey Davis, George Davis Jr., and "amiaboe little daughter," Adeline Davis, all minors, on 21 August 1822 at Tuscaloosa, Tuscaloosa County, Alabama.6
George Davis Jr. appeared on the 1830 U.S. Census in Mobile, Mobile County, Alabama. Others enumerated in the same household were, an unknown person one male 20-30; one female under 5, one female 15-20; one female slave.7
George Davis Jr. appeared on the 1840 U.S. Census in Mobile, Mobile County, Alabama. In his household were one male 5-10, one male 15-20, one male 30-40; two females 15-20; three female slaves; one person employed in commerce.8
George and Catherine Davis appeared on the 1 June 1850 Federal Census of Mobile, Mobile County, Alabama, enumerated 11 January 1851. His children from a previous marriage, George, Fred, Mary A., Georgiana and William, and their child, John, were listed as living with them.4
Children of George Davis Jr. and Amelia (—?—) (Davis)
Children of George Davis Jr. and Roseanna Dunn
Child of George Davis Jr. and Catherine O'Hara
- John Davis4 b. s Nov 1850
- [S468] Dr. W. Stuart Harris, online <http://www.trackingyourroots.com/data/mobilecem3.htm>, Dr. W. Stuart Harris (unknown location), downloaded June 2002.
- [S448] Mobile County Marriage Book Book 4, p. 1, County Clerk's Office, Mobile, Alabama.
- [S448] Mobile County Marriage Book Book 11, p. 27.
- [S1118] George Davis Jr. household, 1840 U.S. Census, Mobile, Mobile County, Alabama, page Mobile, line 400; National Archives micropublication M704, roll 10.
- [S467] Bertram Wallace Korn, The Jews of Mobile, Alabama, 1763 - 1841 (Cincinatti: Hebrew Union College Press, 1970), 35.
- [S451] Pauline Jones Gandrud, comp., Alabama Records, Vol. 3 (Columbus, Mississippi: Blewett Company, 1980), 36, citing Tuscaloosa Deed Book 1, p. 194.
- [S1117] George Davis household, 1830 U.S. Census, Mobile, Mobile County, Alabama, page 384; National Archives micropublication M19, roll 3.
- [S1118] 1840 U.S. Census, Mobile, Mobile County, Alabama, p. 93.