Carteret was formed in 1722 from Craven. It was named in honor of Sir John Carteret afterwards (1744) Earl of Granville, one of the Lords Proprietors. It is in the eastern section of the State and is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean and Onslow, Jones and Craven counties and on the banks by Hyde County. The present land area is 519.84 square miles and the 2000 population was 59,383. Beaufort, established in 1723 and named in honor of Henry Duke of Beaufort, is the county seat.