Craven was first created as Archdale Precinct of Bath County in 1705. The name was changed about 1712. It was named in honor of William Lord Craven, one of the Lords Proprietors of Carolina. It is in the eastern section of the State and is bounded by Carteret, Jones, Lenoir, Pitt, Beaufort and Pamlico counties. The present land area is 708.43 square miles and the population in 2000 was 91,523. The county seat was first called Chattawka, or Chattoocka, and later. in 1723, Newbern. New Bern - the law fixed the spelling in 1897 - is the county seat.