Edgecombe was formed in 1741 from Bertie. although deeds begin in 1732 and one will dates from 1733. [No action had been taken on a bill to establish the county in 1734.] It was named in honor of Richard Edgecome, who became Baron Edgecombe in 1742, an English nobleman and a lord of the Treasury. It is in the eastern section of the State and is bounded by Martin, Pitt, Wilson, Nash, and Halifax counties. The present land area is 505.03 square miles and the 2000 population was 55,606. The first county seat was Edgecombe Court House. Tarboro was established in 1760 and was made the county seat in 1764.