Granville was formed in 1746 from Edgecombe. It was named in honor of John Carteret, Earl of Granville, who owned the Granville District. It is in the northeastern section of the State and is bounded by Vance, Wake, Durham and Person counties and the state of Virginia. The present land area is 531.12 square miles and the 2000 population was 48,498. The first county seat was called Granville Court House. In 1748 the location selected became unsatisfactory. Therefore, it was ordered that the courthouse be located on a branch of Tar River called Tabb's Creek. Oxford was made the county seat in 1811 and was incorporated in 1816.