Halifax was formed in 1758 from Edgecombe. The act was to become effective in January 1759. It was named in honor of George Montague, Second Earl of Halifax. It is in the northeastern section of the State and is bounded by Bertie, Martin, Edgecombe, Nash, Warren and Northampton counties. The present land area is 725.36 square miles and the 2000 population was 57,370. The first court was held at Enfield. Halifax was made the county seat by an act passed in 1758.