Mecklenburg was formed in 1762 from Anson. The act was to become effective February 1, 1763. It was named in honor of Princess Charlotte Sophia of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, the Queen of George III who was King of England. It is in the south central section of the State and is bounded by the state of South Carolina and Gaston, Lincoln, Iredell, Cabarrus and Union counties. The present land area is 526.28 square miles and the 2000 population was 695,370. Charlotte, named for Princess Charlotte and established in 1766. is the county seat.