Orange was formed in 1752 from Johnston, Bladen and Granville. It was named in honor of the infant William V of Orange. It is in the central section of the State and is bounded by Durham, Chatham, Alamance, Caswell and Person counties. The present land area is 399.84 square miles and the 2000 population was 115,331. The first courthouse was authorized to be established in 1754 where the western path crossed the Eno River on the land of James Watson. Childsburg was established in 1759 and was changed to Hillsborough in 1766. Hillsborough is the county seat.