b. 10 December 1890, d. 17 March 1979
- Family Background:
- Munson and Allied Families
Jessie Rawls was born on 10 December 1890.1 She married Walter Bascom Munson II, son of Hillen Armour Munson and Lilla Mary Cox, circa 1927 in First Methodist Church, Shreveport, Caddo Parish, Louisiana.1 She died on 17 March 1979 in Brazoria County, Texas, at age 88.1,2 She was buried in Munson Cemetery, Bailey's Prairie, Brazoria County, Texas.3
Jessie met Bascom in Louisiana where he was working in the oil fields. They lived in Longview and Kilgore, Texas, for a time while Bascom was working for Reed Rollerbit. In later years she and Bascom lived in Houston and Angleton.4 In 1955 they built a large, beautiful home under the live oak trees at Bailey's Prairie near the location of the original Ridgely Plantation home of Bascom's grandparents, Mordello and Sarah Munson.4 Jessie and Bascom Munson had no children.
Jessie R. and Walter Munson appeared on the 1 April 1930 Federal Census of Houston, Harris County, Texas, enumerated 8 April 1930.5
- [S20] Thurmond A. Williamson, The Munsons of Texas, an American Saga, First Edition manuscript (Dallas: n.pub., 1987), 282.
- [S31] Texas Department of Health Death Records, 1964-1998, online <http://vitals.rootsweb.com/tx/death/search.cgi>.
- [S191] Jessie Rawls Munson tombstone, Munson Family Cemetery, Bailey's Prairie, Texas; photographed by the writer on 4 July 2003.
- [S704] "The Life and Family of Hillen Armour Munson (I)," The Munsons of Texas - an American Saga, online. <http://munsons-of-texas.net/c26.html
- [S105] Walter Munson household, 1930 U.S. Census, Harris County, Texas, population schedule, Precinct 1, City of Houston, enumeration district (ED) 101-84, sheet 15A/15, dwelling 137, family 194; National Archives micropublication T626, roll 2348.