The home, situated on the west bank of the Brazos River, was occupied continuously by the Underwood family between 1838 or '39 and 1958 when the last to live there, Laura Underwood, suffered a stroke. The house is now the property of the First Capitol Historical Inc., which is responsible for its upkeep. The house is used for exhibit purposes, as it was given to the Foundation by Underwood descendants with the proviso that it only be used for this purpose.
Ammon Underwood House, undated
Click on this photo to view Underwood house photos
THE AMMON UNDERWOOD HOUSE. A structure erected in noted old river port town of Marion in Republic of Texas era. First portion, of hand-hewn cedar, was built about 1835 by colonist Thomas W. Nibbs. Merchant-civic leader- soldier Ammon Underwood (1810-87) bought and enlarged house in 1838-39. In 1839 he married Rachel Jane, daughter of William and Catherine Carson, of Austin's original colony. President Anson Jones and other famous Texans often visited the Underwoods. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark — 1970
"This Old House" — Angleton Times, 1966
"Underwood Home Moved to Safer Location" — The Facts, 2005