John Hanks Munson
b. 6 February 1916, d. 3 January 1986
John Hanks Munson|b. 6 Feb 1916\nd. 3 Jan 1986|p29.htm|George Poindexter Munson Sr.|b. 12 Aug 1873\nd. 7 Jan 1944|p18.htm|Louise Underwood|b. 8 Jul 1880\nd. 5 Sep 1946|p19.htm|George P. Munson|b. 4 Jun 1832\nd. 19 Apr 1878|p20.htm|Matilda A. Davis|b. 22 Feb 1850\nd. 25 Feb 1882|p21.htm|Joseph P. Underwood|b. 26 Feb 1845\nd. 1 Feb 1925|p66.htm|Louisa A. B. Hanks|b. 3 Jun 1847\nd. 2 Feb 1912|p67.htm|
Son of George Poindexter Munson Sr.
Son of Louise Underwood.
Uncle of Laura Jane Munson.
John Hanks Munson was born on 6 February 1916 at Bailey's Prairie, Brazoria County, Texas.1,2 He was the son of George Poindexter Munson Sr. and Louise Underwood. He married Billie Marshall on 27 May 1939.3 He died on 3 January 1986 at his home, Sugarland, Fort Bend County, Texas, at age 69.2,4 He was buried in Munson Cemetery, Bailey's Prairie, Brazoria County, Texas.5
Johnnie Munson, Sr.
John Hanks, the fifth child of George and Louise, was the only one of the children born in the family home at Bailey's Prairie. He grew up in Brazoria County, and appears there in the household of his parents as a three year old in the 1920 census , and a fourteen year old in the 1930 census.6,7 He graduated from West Columbia High School and studied civil engineering at Texas A&M College (now Texas A&M University). He worked as a civil engineer for the Jefferson Lake Sulphur Company, the City of Freeport, and Dow Chemical Company in Freeport. The family lived in Freeport for many years before moving to Sugarland in the early 1960s.
Johnnie was a man of many interests and talents. He designed, constructed, and landscaped a beautiful pond in the backyard of each of his three homes that the writer remembers. He was an avid sailor and provided many good times aboard his sailboat for family and friends. However, his real love was photography, and he took many of the photographs seen here. His skill was such that he was often hired to photograph weddings and other events. The accompanying photograph is of Johnnie in his darkroom holding one of his cameras. In the background are photos he took, developed and printed of various family members including one of the writer.
Child of John Hanks Munson and Willie Clarence 'Billie' Marshall
- John Hanks Munson Jr.+ b. 24 Jan 1942
- [S27] John Hanks Munson entry, Brazoria County Births, no. 522, County Clerk's Office, Angleton, Texas.
- [S29] John Munson, no. 450-16-3106, Social Security Death Index, RootsWeb (Provo: MyFamily.com Inc., 2005). The SSDI component of RootsWeb is drawn from the Social Security Death Benefits Index of the U.S. Social Security Administration.
- [S2] Brazoria County Marriage Book 12: 532, no. 1064, County Clerk's Office, Angleton, Texas.
- [S31] Texas Department of Health Death Records, 1964-1998, online <http://vitals.rootsweb.com/tx/death/search.cgi>.
- [S17] Tombstone, Munson Family Cemetery, Bailey's Prairie, Texas; photographed by the writer on 31 July 1997.
- [S38] George P. Monson household, 1920 U.S. Census, Brazoria County, Texas, population schedule, J.P. 2, East Columbia township, Columbia (unincorporated), Avenue Brazos, enumeration district (ED) 3, sheet 2B, dwelling 49, family 50; National Archives micropublication T625, roll 1774.
- [S37] George P. Munson household, 1930 U.S. Census, Brazoria County, Texas, population schedule, Precinct 1, Angleton-West Columbia Road, enumeration district (ED) 20-4, sheet 8A/41, dwelling 156, family 162; National Archives micropublication T626, roll 2301.