Robert Milam Munson
b. 20 October 1918, d. 2 January 2006
Robert Milam Munson|b. 20 Oct 1918\nd. 2 Jan 2006|p30.htm|George Poindexter Munson Sr.|b. 12 Aug 1873\nd. 7 Jan 1944|p18.htm|Louise Underwood|b. 8 Jul 1880\nd. 5 Sep 1946|p19.htm|George P. Munson|b. 4 Jun 1832\nd. 19 Apr 1878|p20.htm|Matilda A. Davis|b. 22 Feb 1850\nd. 25 Feb 1882|p21.htm|Joseph P. Underwood|b. 26 Feb 1845\nd. 1 Feb 1925|p66.htm|Louisa A. B. Hanks|b. 3 Jun 1847\nd. 2 Feb 1912|p67.htm|
Son of George Poindexter Munson Sr.
Son of Louise Underwood.
Uncle of Laura Jane Munson.
James Robert Milam Munson was born on 20 October 1918 in the Underwood home, Columbia, Brazoria County, Texas,1,2,3 (now East Columbia). He was the son of George Poindexter Munson Sr. and Louise Underwood. He married Jessica Pauline Lang on 4 March 1949 at First Presbyterian Church, Angleton, Brazoria County, Texas.3 He died on 2 January 2006 in St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital, Houston, Harris County, Texas, at age 87. His obituary was published in The Facts on 5 January 2006.2,4 Following services at First Presbyterian Church on 6 January 2006, he was buried in Munson Cemetery, Bailey's Prairie.2
Bobby was named for his dad's half first cousin and brother-in-law, Robert Milam Caldwell II. James is for another of the Caldwells. Ruth Anna Munson believed it was for his grandfather Munson's stepfather, James Peckham Caldwell, but it may have been for Milam's older brother, James Pearce Caldwell. He dropped James from his name at some point. He told Ruth Anna the reason was that growing up, he didn't like that his brother Johnnie had only two given names and he had three.
Bobby grew up at Bailey's Prairie and Columbia and appears in Brazoria County in the household of his parents as a one year old in the 1920 census , and an eleven year old in the 1930 census.5,6 He graduated from West Columbia High School and attended Texas A&M College (now Texas A&M University), but dropped out to join the Naval Air Force during World War II. After the war, he worked for the Cannan Insurance Company in Angleton. He eventually bought the company and reorganized it as the Munson Insurance Agency. Under his ownership, it grew into the largest insurance agency in Brazoria County. Bobby sold the company and retired on 1 June 1985.
Children of Robert Milam Munson and Jessica Pauline Lang
- [S679] Texas Department of State Health Services, Texas Birth Index, 1903-1997 (Austin: Texas Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics), Robert Milam Munson entry, 1918: 0009.
- [S932] Robert Milam "Bobby" Munson, The Facts, Clute, Texas, 3 January 2006. Hereinafter cited as The Facts.
- [S20] Thurmond A. Williamson, The Munsons of Texas, an American Saga, First Edition manuscript (Dallas: n.pub., 1987), 161.
- [S931] Telephone conversation between Margie Munson (Margie Munson; Bailey's Prairie, Brazoria County, Texas), and Laura Munson Cooper, 2 January 2006 (Arlington, TX).
- [S38] George P. Monson household, 1920 U.S. Census, Brazoria County, Texas, population schedule, J.P. 2, East Columbia township, Columbia (unincorporated), Avenue Brazos, enumeration district (ED) 3, sheet 2B, dwelling 49, family 50; National Archives micropublication T625, roll 1774.
- [S37] George P. Munson household, 1930 U.S. Census, Brazoria County, Texas, population schedule, Precinct 1, Angleton-West Columbia Road, enumeration district (ED) 20-4, sheet 8A/41, dwelling 156, family 162; National Archives micropublication T626, roll 2301.
- [S12] Ancestry.com, Texas Birth Index, 1903-1997, [database online] (Provo, UT: The Generations Network, Inc., 2005).