Ella Harriet Underwood
Aunt of Louise Underwood.
Great-grandaunt of Laura Jane Munson.
- Family Background:
- Underwood and Allied Families
Ella married the grandson of Gail Borden Sr. who was the second husband of her grandmother Catherine Jane Patterson Carson. She and Milam were married less than two years when Milam died and Ella never remarried.
Ella H. Underwood appeared on the 1 June 1860 Federal Census of Columbia, Brazoria County, Texas, in the household of her parents, A. and Rachel Underwood.3
Ella Underwood appeared on the 1 June 1870 Federal Census of Columbia, Brazoria County, Texas, in the household of her parents, Ammon and Rachel Underwood.4
Ella Borden appeared on the 1 June 1880 Federal Census of Columbia, Brazoria County, Texas, in the household of her parents, A. and R.J. Underwood, with her son Milam. The next household was that of David and Carry Nation.5
Ella H. Borden was named as a co-heir in the will of her parents, Ammon Underwood and Rachel J. Underwood, made 3 December 1886 in Columbia, Brazoria County, Texas.6
Ella H. Borden, widow of Milam, was living in 1891 at the southeast corner of Broadway and 13th, Galveston, Galveston County, Texas. Living with her was her mother, Rachel J. Underwood, and her niece and namesake, Miss Ella Diggs.7
Child of Ella Harriet Underwood and Milam Borden
- Milam Underwood Borden+ b. 16 Feb 1876, d. 22 Feb 1961
- [S8] Ella H. Borden tombstone, block 18, lot 15, site 4, Old Columbia Cemetery, West Columbia, Brazoria County, Texas; photographed by the writer on 31 July 1997.
- [S2] Brazoria County Marriage Book 2: 204, no. 327, County Clerk's Office, Angleton, Texas.
- [S54] A. Underwood household, 1860 U.S. Census, Brazoria County, Texas, population schedule, Columbia, page 19/63A, dwelling 163, family 150; National Archives micropublication M653, roll 1289.
- [S53] Ammon Underwood household, 1870 U.S. Census, Brazoria County, Texas, population schedule, town of Columbia, post office Columbia, page 186, dwelling 1674, family 1674; National Archives micropublication M593, roll 1576.
- [S52] J.P. Underwood household, 1880 U.S. Census, Brazoria County, Texas, population schedule, Precinct No. 2, Columbia, enumeration district (ED) 18, sheet 5B, dwelling 42, family 42; National Archives micropublication T9, roll 1292.
- [S94] Ammon Underwood, Probate file no. 1159, County Clerk's Office, Angleton, Texas.
- [S96] Morrison and Fourmy's General Directory of the City of Galveston, 1890-1891 (Galveston: Morrison and Fourmy Co., 1891), viewed on Ancestry.com.